In Episode 5 of the CPM Podcast, Justin continues to fine-tune his portfolios. He shows investors how they can cut the cost of their Vanguard or iShares asset allocation ETF by switching to one of his “Ridiculous” model portfolios. During the discussion, investors will discover the many benefits of using U.S.-based foreign equity ETFs in their RRSP, and also learn how tax-efficient bond ETFs can help to reduce their tax bill in taxable accounts. And in this episode’s ETF Kombat, the BMO Discount Bond Index ETF (ZDB) will take on not one, but three of its rivals: VAB, XBB and ZAG. Justin will end the show by answering a popular listener question on whether they should switch their old CPM portfolio to one of the newer ETF portfolios introduced in 2020.
- How to read the Vanguard and iShares Ridiculous model ETF portfolio reports [0:01:25.5]
- Comparing the Light and Ridiculous model ETF portfolio reports [0:02:56.5]
- Foreign bond differences between the Light and Ridiculous ETF portfolios [0:03:34.5]
- Equity differences between the Light and Ridiculous ETF portfolios [0:04:52.5]
- Making your ridiculously complex investing experience slightly easier, using VEQT and XEQT [0:07:24.5]
- ETF Kombat: ZDB takes on not one, but three bond ETFs (VAB, XBB and ZAG) [0:08:16.5]
- The pros and cons of managing a Ridiculous ETF portfolio [0:14:24.5]
- Voicemail Question: A blog reader asks Justin whether he needs to switch his old CPM portfolio to one of the newer model ETF portfolios introduced in 2020 [0:18:11.5]
Blog posts/resources discussed in this episode:
- Canadian Portfolio Manager: Introducing the “Ridiculous” ETF Portfolios
- What Should You Do When We Update Our CPM Portfolios?
- Canadian Portfolio Manager Model ETF Portfolios